Katherine Casey, our local manager and housekeeper, is also an excellent cook …. although we only offer ‘in house’ catering for tenants of Westcove House itself - and for larger groups who rent the Stables and/or Garden Cottage with the House - she and her team always have a selection of delicious home-made dishes in the freezer, ready to reheat …. these are available for visitors to all our properties. This option has proved very popular for those wanting a break from the kitchen stove but not wanting to dine out too often, especially when travelling with children.
Our Catering is described in detail below - please click here if you would like a printable version of our Catering Options.
Katherine's email is email@example.com
Selection of home-cooked dishes available on request to all our tenants
You will find a complete list of the current home-cooked dishes on arrival. Katherine will leave a meal in the fridge/freezer before you arrive if requested, especially useful after a long journey! (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
All dishes will be labelled with a list of ingredients and cooking instructions.
2 servings …………… €8
4 servings …………… €15
6/7 servings ………….€22
8/9 servings ………… €27
2 servings ……………. €8
4 servings ……………. €13
6 servings ……….…… €18
Chicken and Leek Pie
6 servings …………… €20
Variety of Quiches (including vegetarian options)
Small 3-4 servings .. €12
Large 5-8 servings .. €16
Apple or Rhubarb Pies
Small 4-6 servings ….. €8
Large 8-10 servings .. €12
6 servings ………… €20
Wines and Spirits
We do not stock any alcohol on the premises, as we are not licensed to do so. There is quite a good selection of wine available in local stores, but if you are a large group taking advantage of our Catering Options, we suggest you contact VG Wines, an excellent wine merchant based in Kenmare. Their website, http://www.vgwines.com, offers a comprehensive selection of wines to suit all tastes - and budgets! Delivery to Westcove is free on orders of one case or more. Spirits are very costly in Ireland, so we would advise you to bring your own!
Catering Options for Tenants of Westcove House
(and for larger groups who rent the Stables and/or Garden Cottage with the House)
Option 1 - Evening Meal - €25 per head ( €13 for children under 10)
This is the casual way we always have dinner when holidaying at Westcove.
Light starters (finger food) will be brought to the bar. The main course will be put on the hot plate in the dining room for you to help yourselves, or the staff can serve you individually from the kitchen. After dessert, coffee/tea will be brought either to the dining table or to the bar. For this Option, we help take plates etc. to the kitchen, and the staff will wash up everything, but like to leave by 10pm at the latest. So if you linger, please put the remaining glasses etc. straight into the dishwasher!
Option 2 - Evening Meal - €40 per head (€15 for children under 10) - a more formal choice – perfect for celebration dinners etc. - for up to 25 people….(see ‘option 4’ for larger groups)
The starter of your choice will be served in the dining room, as will the main course, dessert and a selection of Irish cheeses. A tray of coffee/tea will then be taken into the Bar area for you to help yourselves….You won’t have to “lift a finger” because the staff will be there to clear everything for you (if necessary before breakfast the following morning).
Catering for larger groups
Option 3 –Formal Celebration Dinner in the Games Room - €45/ €60 per head, depending on selected menu.
We can now arrange formal ‘seated and served’ meals for up to 55 in the games room in The Stables. This is ideal for small weddings, special birthdays etc. The furniture can be quickly cleared away after dinner to provide a perfect venue for dancing – either to a live band or a disco!
Option 4 – Informal Buffet in Westcove House - €20/€30 per head
Guests help themselves to a selection of suitable dishes, easy to eat ‘with a fork’ (ie paprika pork with sherry and mushrooms, chicken with mustard/cream sauce, lasagne and salad), followed by a selection of deserts, and sit around in all reception areas, or - weather permitting - on the terrace. Ideal for casual gatherings at any time of day for 20–50 people.
Option 5 – Barbecue – €20 per head (weather permitting!)
A barbecue can be provided, using the traditional built-in, charcoal barbecue on the terrace. This would typically consist of 3 meats – locally made sausages, marinated spare ribs of pork, chicken legs/thighs – served with baked potatoes, garlic bread, and 2 types of salad…. followed by ice cream with ‘Mars Bar’ sauce and stewed pears - a Westcove tradition (!) - or a selection of Irish cheeses and fresh fruit.
Below are some menu suggestions for dinners, (and details of our breakfast and brunch options.) These have all proved very popular with our guests over the years, but Katherine loves trying new recipes and is always open to suggestions…
We would be grateful if you could contact her – email@example.com – to discuss your likely requirements, particularly if you have a special celebration in mind, to enable her to do some forward planning….as you can imagine,the summer months do get extremely busy!
MENU SUGGESTIONS for EVENING MEALS
STARTERS (1-5 can be served as finger–eats in Bar – see Option 1)
- Katherine’s delicious Chicken Liver Paté and/or Smoked Mackerel Paté served withlocally made soda bread.
- Wild, Locally Smoked Salmon served on the same delicious crunchy bread.
- Selection of Hot Seafood Bites in Filo Pastry with a piquant chili dip.
- Melon, Mango or Pear with Parma Ham (depending on availability).
- Grilled Garlic Mushrooms topped with Breadcrumbs.
- Avocado with Prawns or Vinaigrette.
- A selection of home-made Soups
- Terrine of Crab and Avocado – a Katherine speciality!
MAIN COURSES served with seasonal fresh vegetables / salad /variety of potato options / rice / tagliatelli – your choice.
- Gammon on the Bone, glazed with brown sugar and cloves served hot with Katherine’s special Madeira Sauce – really tender and tasty – have it soon after your arrival – so good to have cold later – if there’s any left!
- Kerry Lamb roasted with carrots and parsnips – a favourite with all our visitors.
- Roast Chicken with all the trimmings.
- TenderStrips of Chicken, in a delicious cream and mustard sauce.
- Paprika Pork fillet of pork with mushrooms, cream and sherry.
- Fillet of Beef # with mustard, pepper, cream and wine - or with a mushroom or pepper sauce
- Lasagne – withgarlic bread and salad.
- Chicken and Leek Pie – a popular option with regular visitors.
- Westcove Fish Pie – a selection of fresh seafood topped with crème fraiche and breadcrumbs.
- Cod orSalmon Fillets - on bed of Spring Onion mash - Or baked with tomato crust topping.
- Queen Scallops* lightly cooked in white wine and cream or grilled.
- Chilled Seafood Platter* - to include smoked salmon, prawns and fresh crab.
- Lobster #, locally sourced, served hot or cold.
* Can also be selected as a Starter# These options are €4 extra per head
VEGETARIAN OPTIONS include Roast Vegetable Lasagne, Salads, Quiches and Pasta
- Lemon Mousse, very light and fresh.
- Cheesecake – Lemon, and other flavours.
- Chocolate Mousse Log – rich but irresistible, often served with fruit salad.
- Bananas or Nectarines baked in brandy – accompanied by whipped yoghurt and cream and grilled, dark brown sugar topping (can also be prepared on a flan base).
- Apple/ Blackberry and Apple/ Rhubarb – Pie/ Crumble – Bernie’s pastry is to die for!
- Roulades - a selection – chocolate, lemon meringue etc
- Fresh Fruit Salad – using a variety of fruit in season.
- Pavlova – with meringue, cream and seasonal fruits – Bernie’s speciality
- Katherine’s 'Tarte au Citron' – the perfect choice after a roast dinner!
- A variety of Home-made, fruit based Ice Creams - Strawberry, Mango, Blackcurrant etc.
Selection of Irish Cheeses - this option is included as an extra course in Option 2 but can be an alternative choice for dessert for Option 1
Please note :- Katherine is very flexible and will always consider other suggestions you may have.
BREAKFASTS and BRUNCHES
BREAKFAST Please choose from one of the following options:
Option 1 is only available if chosen for the duration of your stay, but you can select Option 2 on any day (except Sundays) providing Katherine is given 24 hours notice. Breakfasts are free for children under three.
Option 1: Ingredients only - €6 per head perday
A good choice if you would prefer to make your own breakfast in your own time but without the hassle of too much time-consuming food shopping whilst on holiday. The kitchens in Westcove House and The Stables and/or Garden Cottage will be stocked with breakfast supplies – see list below – for the duration of your stay.
Suggested Ingredients(preferences to be confirmed with Katherine prior to arrival):-
Juice : Orange, Grapefruit and Apple.
Fruit: Selection of fresh fruit or grapefruit segments and prunes.
Cereals: A selection to choose from
Coffee: Ground and Instant (caffeinated and decaffeinated).
Tea: Indian, Earl Grey, Green Tea, and a selection of Fruit Teas.
Milk: Full cream and low fat.
Bread: White sliced and home-made Brown Soda Bread.
Butter: Ordinary and low fat.
Marmalade, Honey, Jam, Marmite and Peanut Butter
Eggs, Bacon, and Tomatoes (+ sausages, if required)
Yoghurt: Plain ‘Danone Bio Activia’ – and fruit varieties if requested
Option 2: Full Irish Cooked Breakfast - €12 per head (served between 7.30 and 9.30am)
Katherine and team - depending on numbers – will lay the table, clear it away and leave the kitchen tidy. For this option breakfast will only be prepared in the House but Stable and Garden Cottage residents (from the same party) are welcome.
BRUNCH €15 per head(served between 10 and 12noon)
This traditional mix of ‘breakfast and lunch’ is proving to be very popular with our tenants, especially the ‘morning after’ a celebration evening!
Some of Katherine’s suggestions for brunch:- ( served with a selection of breads/croissants, fresh fruit or fruit juice, tea and freshly brewed coffee)
Creamy Smoked Haddock Kedgeree
Homemade pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup
Vegetable or bacon Frittatas
Black pudding potato cakes topped with fried eggs
Spinach or smoked salmon and egg muffins